8.11.2011

Purple Potatoes & Baby Update

Last weekend while visiting Jesse, he took me to the DeKalb Farmer's Market.  So, I'm thinking it would be like any ol' farmers market like others I had been to.  I was kind of confused that we were going on a Saturday night to a building that looked like Sam's club with a large parking lot.  It's actually a world market that is open every day.  We walk into this huge warehouse (I kept comparing it to Ikea, but for food) that is full of every type of food from all around the world.  It was so cool!  They have everything that you can imagine.  We probably spent at least an hour just walking around.

One of my favorite things about the place was all of the different kinds of people that were there - who were also from all over the world.  I bet it is amazing for them to have a place to go to buy the ingredients to make their favorite dishes from home.  I loved how many children were there... sitting in the buggies surrounded by all of these colorful fruits and veggies, fresh breads, etc.  They got to pick out the exact fish from the tank they would have for dinner that night and watch it be butchered.  This might be strange, but I want my children to understand and know where their food comes from... that it's not always perfectly packaged in the meat cooler.  If I ever live in Atlanta, this is where I want to shop for food.  We bought some spices, macadamia nuts, french brioche, coffee, and purple potatoes - all for really good prices.  I have seen recipes that call for purple potatoes, but have never cooked with them before.... until tonight!  We made Purple Potato Au Gratin.  It was really yummy!  I found a good recipe on www.allrecipes.com.


Ingredients

  • 4 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1 leek, sliced
  • 8 purple potatoes, thinly sliced
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 6 ounces crumbled goat cheese
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until it starts to brown. Stir in leeks and cook until just tender.
  3. Toss potatoes with flour and stir into leek mixture, coating thoroughly. Pour in milk and stir in goat cheese. Cook until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly. Pour into a 7x11 inch baking dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender.




BABY UPDATE:  Jesse and I went to the doctor today for my 12 week checkup. Let the 2nd trimester begin!  The last time we were at the doctor we had an ultrasound to see the baby and see the heartbeat, but it was still too early to be able to hear the heartbeat.  Well, that all changed today!  It was amazing to get to hear that little sound.  For some reason I was nervous just before the doctor put the sensor on my stomach, but it all went away when I heard the precious pitter-patter.  I'm so thankful that Jesse was able to come home early so he could hear his baby's heartbeat.

It's amazing that the Lord has blessed us with this gift - this incredible life that will be our responsibility to raise, teach, love.... all for His glory.  Please be praying for us as we prepare for this huge responsibility as parents, as it is scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment